There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
The aerodynamics team is responsible for developing the external and internal flowfield environments for all current and future vehicles. This involves analytical and experimental predictions which are integral to designing the vehicle for all phases of flight.
- Develop aerodynamic design solutions for novel vehicle challenges.
- Create, mesh, run, and post process computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models.
- Calculate pressure, heat flux, and aero buffet/vibration loads for thermal and structures teams.
- Maintain and improve the aerodynamic database for Varda’s vehicles.
- Lead the review of post-flight data and compare the data to pre-flight estimates.
- Create wind tunnel models and process wind tunnel data.
- Participate in the research and development process for a new generation of reentry vehicles.
- Responsible for all external and internal flow field simulations.
- Collaborate cross functionally with design, development, and test groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering and 3+ years’ experience running reacting CFD solutions, or
- Master’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering and 1+ years running CFD, or
- Ph.D degree in CFD/numerical methods.
- Experienced with meshing, running and post processing compressible CFD solutions
- Be able to anchor simulations to data and generate confidence bounds for CFD results
- Experience with aerodynamic analysis tools and experimental methods.
- Be able to generate first-principles models where necessary.
- Be familiar with subsonic, transonic, supersonic, hypersonic, and rarefied fluid dynamics.
- Experience running NASA Fun3D, DPLR, Laura, US3D, or other CFD packages.
- Experience analyzing hypersonic (Mach > 5) chemically-reacting CFD simulations
Preferred Skills And Experience
- 4+ years of professional aerodynamics or fluid mechanics experience.
- Be familiar with wall functions, flamelet models, and nonequilibrium reactions
- Experience running Sparta DSMC or other packages
- Experience with Pointwise and other CFD meshing software.
- Experience with NX and other CAD software for generating water-tight geometries.
- Experience in fast-paced design environment.
- Previous background with translating engineering analyses into workable design solutions for flight vehicles.
- Low level coding in MATLAB or Python.
- Familiarity with C++, Fortran, and MPI and be able to make minor improvements to source codes
- Venting analysis and internal pressure predictions.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.