There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About this Role
As a Varda Avionics Test Engineer, you will design, build, and operate ground support equipment used to rigorously test hardware before its journey to space. In this role you will have full ownership and responsibility for the equipment you design and test. Get excited to deliver and test products that will go to space and back!
Some people say that you only have one chance to fly to space so you must be certain it will work. At Varda, we believe that the trip to space and back is the easiest trip our hardware takes. We stress our components above and beyond the levels it should expect to see in flight, and we investigate our failures thoroughly. Come join our team and build quality electronics that you love to see fly over and over again.
- Be the owner of avionics ground infrastructure, including vehicle level test racks, avionics component level test racks, and R&D equipment
- Design, build, and run your hardware to validate avionics products for flight – stressing all critical pieces to ensure capabilities during space flight
- Support avionics architecture trade studies, provide feedback on design for test, and drive design improvements
- Develop test plans used to document software requirements and stress cases
- With the help of avionics hardware, spearhead hardware through rigorous environments including thermal, vibe, shock, and TVAC
- Troubleshoot issues with existing components and systems, and propose and implement solutions
- B.S. in Electrical or Computer Science or related field with 1+ years of direct experience in electronics hardware development
- Proven experience designing and operating test equipment
- Experience programming with Python, MATLAB, or another scripting/data analysis language
- Experience troubleshooting electronic systems, from reading electrical schematics to using test equipment to inspect the system
- Working knowledge of digital and analog electronic circuits
- Strong understanding and experience in environmental design testing, such as vibration, shock, thermal, and TVAC
- Hands-on electrical and wire harnesses build experience
- Don’t worry if you don’t check 100% of these boxes… We want to meet you!
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience in delivering flight avionics for aircraft, launch vehicles, or other space applications
- Direct experience in launch vehicle avionics systems integration
- Experience with mechanical design and CAD software
- Experience with high and low speed instrumentation and data acquisition
- Understanding of integrated circuits, PCB design, and ability to create electrical schematics
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.