There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
As an embedded software engineer, you will be designing, developing, and testing the drivers, controllers, and software that operates our spacecraft. The Embedded Systems Engineer will have a unique opportunity to develop hardware and software from the ground-up and have the ability to grow as Varda grows.
- Develop embedded software in C for ARM microcontrollers
- Work closely with electronics and avionics engineers to design flight hardware
- Minimum five years of experience developing embedded firmware in C or C++
- Fluency in C programming, including knowledge of object files, linker, preprocessor, and various cross compilers
- Experience with networked distributed systems and concurrency
- Low level knowledge of microcontrollers (bus architecture, clock trees, power management, DMA, registers, timers)
- Experience with version control such as Git
- Strong working knowledge of python
- Experience designing high reliability or safety critical systems
- Experience designing unit tests, automated hardware tests, and integration tests
- Experience with one or more real time operating systems
- Comfortable with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, communications protocols (CAN, I2C, SPI)
- Strong electrical fundamentals and ability to read schematics, datasheets and dense documentation
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Proven design of working mixed signal electrical systems
- Experience with aerospace communication technologies such as CCSDS telemetry and telecommands, CANaerospace, SpaceWire
- Knowledge of bootloaders, packet formats and low level bit wrangling
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.