There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
Varda Space Industries is looking for a Information Security Engineer (InfoSec) to protect our spacecraft during orbital operations and our novel materials development processes in our labs on Earth. This employee will be a member of the Site Reliability team and will support Varda Space personnel, Varda ground laborites, and flight systems. The ideal candidate will be flexible, flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment, and be comfortable working with mission critical systems on orbit. The person in this position should have strong overall technical skills, excellent customer service skills, and superior organizational and prioritization management skills. The candidate should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
Candidates should have experience in building high-quality systems in support of business operations, development of the spacecraft, and administering complex environments.
- Develop and implement network security tools
- Manage firewall configurations in the Varda network
- Focus on performance bottlenecks and performance improvement techniques
- Design, build, and maintain technology solutions and systems that provide security for Varda networks and data
- Identity lifecycle management services and automation
- Build and maintain automation that support the infosec mission. Build scripts to be utilized by information security, site reliability, and infosec teammates
- Documenting and formalizing security processes
- Manage and maintain network security systems by applying system patches and other periodic maintenance tasks
- Develop and manage Varda's infrastructure as code using modern tools and monitoring techniques
- Provide end-user support to vehicle software engineers for in-space materials
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation periodically
- Occasional travel to customer or other Varda sites in support of troubleshooting, testing, and deployment activities
- Bachelor’s degree or 4+ years in information systems, information security, computer science, engineering or technical field of study and 2+ years of information security, networking and/or systems administration experience
- Experience with securing networks, IT infrastructure, applications, endpoints, and/or APIs
- Experience with Linux and Windows servers in physical and virtualized enterprise level environments
- Experience with on-premise and cloud networking technologies
- Python, Bash, PowerShell (or similar) scripting experience
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Experience building automation between tools and systems.
- Familiarity with cloud security services, concepts, and best practices.
- Strong familiarity with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and source control technologies.
- Experience with Python and Python-based development frameworks
- Experience with source code and version control tools such as Git or Subversion
- Experience with infrastructure as code (IaC) products for automatically managing servers
- Experience with both container and virtualization technologies
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking
- Experience with databases and data modeling
- Must be physically able to regularly lift 25 lbs. for duties such as delivering computers, unpacking and rack-mounting equipment, etc.
- Linux System Administrator: $110,000 – $160,000
- Role is located in El Segundo, CA
- Leveling and base salary is determined by job-related skills, education level, experience level, and job performance
- You will be eligible for long-term incentives in the form of stock options or long-term cash awards
- Offer compensation also includes the ability to purchase company stock through the Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.