There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
- Learn how to design, build, test, and fly spacecraft including satellites and atmospheric reentry vehicles
- Full ownership of the vehicle propulsion systems design for capsule reentry, orbital adjustments, and phasing
- Ability to grow and develop with the vehicle and the company as we build Varda together
- Full ownership of the vehicle propulsion hardware and systems design.
- Lead the full cycle design, development, and test for Varda's spacecraft liquid propulsion system
- Ability to scope projects including requirements capture and initial design trades given open-ended problems.
- Develop fluid component specifications and source hardware for in-space liquid propulsion systems
- Define the fabrication and component testing procedures and instructions
- Develop Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and provide technical guidance to vendors or technicians
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field
- 5+ years in propulsion design and/or test for spacecraft or rockets
- Experience in the life cycle of spacecraft development: design, build, and test.
- Understanding of system impacts to component design decisions including packaging, thermal, environmental, and loads
- Understand of fluid-mechanical components including check valves, solenoid valves, pressure regulators, and nozzles
- Familiarity with CAD and lifecycle management software
- Hands-on experience testing rocket engines and/or in-space thrusters
- Must be able to adapt and thrive in a dynamic highly technical environment
Preferred Skills and Requirements
- 10+ years in propulsion design and/or test for spacecraft or rockets
- Liquid in-space engine design experience, preferably monopropellant systems or hypergolics
- Experience performing propulsion analysis such as propellant slosh/bladder modeling, fluids priming, or water hammer analysis
- Experience with Siemens NX or similar CAD packages
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.