There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
The Flight Software team is responsible for determining how our spacecraft behaves and operates in orbit, and building reliable software to ensure it happens. The team is responsible for all phases of development, starting from requirements capture through test, and flight operational support.
- Design, architect and support board bring-up of next-generation avionics computers and networks for in-space vehicles and reentry capsules
- Develop reliable flight software to determine how the spacecraft, satellite bus, and reentry capsule operate through the entire mission
- Own all aspects of software development, from design, testing, integration and on-orbit operations
- Develop hardware and software prototypes in partnership with Avionics to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Teamwork, communication, and problem solving in a collaborative environment
- Scope projects including requirements capture and initial design trades given open-ended problems
- Write quality structured bare metal, RTOS, or Linux based software for embedded processors in C and C++
- Build highly reliable and available software systems through the entire lifecycle, from design to deployment and mission operations
- Ensure system quality and performance through software test, verification, and validation (V&V) techniques
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent practical experience.
- At least five years of software development experience.
- Experience with one or more general-purpose programming languages, such as C, C++, Python.
- Thorough knowledge of distributed computing systems, computer architecture, software development, networks, and electronics
- Strong understanding of computer architecture, operating systems, data structures, and computer networking.
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Experience developing and testing real-time embedded systems.
- Experience with safety-critical software, especially for aerospace applications.
- Solid working knowledge of math and physics.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with debugging electronics (oscilloscopes, signal analyzers, etc.)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.