There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
Varda is providing internships in all areas: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Flight Software, Embedded Systems, and Material Science. Internships are full-time and on-site in Los Angeles, CA.
Internships at Varda are optimal for students looking to grow technically and professionally while working on impactful projects critical to the company’s success. You will be working on a collaborative team in a startup environment while being able to learn from some of most accomplished and experienced aerospace professionals in the world. We’re dedicated to providing an experience that will let your decisions and contributions help drive Varda’s success.
- Own or contribute to hardware or software design to support development of Spacecraft or payload
- Create or support test campaigns and build test stands
- Perform necessary analysis to support development and testing
- Pursuing a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineer, or Electrical Engineering (or similar engineering degrees)
- Demonstrated ability to solve engineering problems
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering and equipment fundamentals
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a technically complex and fast-moving environment
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Previous internship or co-op experience
- Previous experience on technical project teams (i.e. Rocket club, formula SAE, etc.)
- Mechanical Engineer: Familiarity with NX, GD&T, Thermal Desktop, Matlab/Simulink, Simscape, or other engineering programs
- Electrical Engineer: Familiarity with Altium, Matlab, Python, PCB design, Circuit Debugging, Oscilloscopes, Component Test Racks, Hardware-in-the-loop testing (HIL or HITL), wire harness design and building
- Material Science: Familiarity with optics and fiber cable testing, process engineering, design-of-experience, experience running vacuum chambers, experience working in a clean room and/or glovebox environment
- Software Engineer: Familiarity with Microprocessors and/or FPGAs, C/C++, Python scripting experience, experience setting up CI pipelines and unit tests
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.