There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
Varda Space is looking for a Systems Administrator with deep knowledge and broad experience across Linux-based, Windows, networking and cloud technologies. This employee will be a member of the Information Technology team and will support Varda Space personnel, ground, and launch support systems. The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment. Candidates must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems when hardware is on orbit and ground systems are active. The person in this position should have strong overall technical skills, excellent customer service skills, and superior organizational and prioritization management skills. The candidate should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
Candidates should have experience in building high-quality systems in support of business operations, development of the spacecraft, and administering complex environments.
- Work closely with Varda Space engineering to gather requirements, research, evaluate, design, plan, deploy, troubleshoot, networks and systems in a world-class environment.
- Build highly resilient, high-performance, scalable, and flexible systems
- Exercise a high degree of responsibility for the processes/tools and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology
- Define, document and follow standards and best practices for systems design, testing, and implementation
- Design and support Atlassian product customization. (Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket/Bamboo etc.)
- Meet with stakeholders to perform requirements gathering, business process workflows, and process improvements for new and existing projects and configuration
- 4+ years of experience in IT systems administration
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, IT, information systems, math, physics, or other technical discipline with 2+ years of systems administration experience;
- OR 5+ years of systems administration experience without a degree
- Experience with Atlassian administration
- Professional experience building, deploying and troubleshooting IT systems.
- Positive and strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Proven track record of adapting in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment
- Ability to prioritize workflows effectively according to multiple criteria
- Experience with Linux and Windows servers in physical and virtualized enterprise level environments
- Experience with Active Directory, Kerberos, and multi-platform authentication/identification environments
- Experience with on-premise and cloud networking technologies
- Python, Bash, PowerShell (or similar) scripting experience
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Enhance automation through scripting and process documentation
- Linux, Microsoft, Azure, AWS, Cisco, Fortinet or other technical certifications.
- Experience with a scripting language (Bash, Python, etc.) to automate and solve reoccurring tasks.
- Comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities.
- Experience customizing and working with Jira via scripting languages or system customizations
- Familiarity with database and MS-SQL administration, and demonstrated competency in writing SQL queries
- Ability to address and resolve information technology issues promptly, effectively, and independently.
- Motivated self-starter personality and ability to work independently.
- Experience with hardware (i.e., racking, troubleshooting, swapping components).
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with internal/external customers, vendors, management etc. in both formal and informal situations
- Must be physically able to regularly lift 25 lbs. for duties such as delivering computers, unpacking and rack-mounting equipment, etc.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.