There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
As a Varda thermal engineer, you will be responsible for the thermal design, test and validation of our vehicles and hardware. You will have the ability to select and procure thermal protection and insulation hardware for propulsion components; support testing of propulsion and fluid components and systems; and plan projects in design, analysis, and testing. You will apply your expertise of advanced propulsion, fluid, and power systems to our hardware. You will assist in making decisions to optimize vehicle performance and increase the overall hardware capabilities to help achieve our goals.
- Thermal design of vehicles and hardware, from initial high-level analysis down to validation of performance with ground tests, flight, and orbital data
- Automate workflow to reduce engineering investment in the design cycle
- Optimize performance and provide robustness improvements
- Perform hand calculations for early feasibility, as well as detailed heat transfer simulations for space vehicle components and assemblies.
- Produce quality documentation of your work to improve efficiency
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace, or fluid-thermal engineering
- 3-5 years of experience using scientific programming languages
- Extensive experience in C&R Technologies Thermal Desktop and ANSYS Workbench
- Proficient with multiple software development languages (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Good knowledge of foam insulation, multilayer insulation, radiators, temperature control systems, and designing for space launch environments.
- Strong experience developing own models of thermal and fluid processes
- Don’t worry if you don’t check 100% of these boxes… We want to meet you!
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or fluid-thermal engineering
- 5+ years of experience working fluid and thermal related aerospace projects
- Track record of many successful Thermal Desktop application including validation
- Experience with designing Multilayer Insulation (MLI) solutions for space vehicles
- Experience using Siemens NX, SOLIDWORKS, or similar CAD software
- Experience with 3D and reduced order thermal modeling
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup that is about to go through massive growth
- Company parties and generally a fun atmosphere
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance
- Lunch and snacks provided on site. Dinners twice a week for those working late.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.